[mythtv-users] nouveau vdpau

Bob mythtv at cox.net
Wed Jul 11 03:37:05 UTC 2018

On 06/28/2018 09:09 AM, Greg Oliver wrote:
> Anyone here running the nouveau driver for vdpau.  Supposedly the
> firmware blob you extract from the proprietary blob gets native vdpau
> support into the nouveau driver.
>
> Just wondering the success rate and quality - I have a feature set D and
> am tempted to try it out to save time when upgrading my OS..

I tried this with Debian 9 (I think, if not maybe Debian 8) and it
wasn't as stable as I had hoped. Sorry I don't recall more details than
that, but I remember thinking the proprietary driver worked better at
the time.

Currently my CPU is strong enough to do the decoding. I believe the
project has plans to create open-source firmware to replace the blob and
maybe then it will work well.

I am routing for noveau with vdpau as it will be better supported and
for longer than the proprietary alternative.

Bob