[mythtv-users] Wifi

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Jan 31 21:59:55 UTC 2018

Leo Butler <leo.butler at member.ams.org> wrote:

> In fairness, Simon, when I lived in the UK, I noticed RF interference in
> ways that just do not occur in North America.
>
> I couldn't pass my mobile phone (a high-end Nokia) within 1.5m of my FM
> radio, due to the loud and awful interference. That same phone did not
> generate that interference on a similar FM radio in the US.
>
> I won't speculate on the source of the difference, I'm sure there are
> others on the list better qualified.

What type of network were/are you on in the US ?

Over here we have used GSM for quite a while - which is a digital signal that causes quite distinct interference in electronic equipment (not just radio).
Analogue mobile just doesn't cause the same sort of interference. Ah, looking it up (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_industry_in_the_United_States) it seems that Verizon and Sprint use CDMA - while AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM.

It's also why (unless you have an expensive multi-mode phone) you can't always switch between networks (and keep your phone) like we can over here.