[mythtv-users] SMR drives on Mythtv

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Wed Jan 31 10:04:54 UTC 2018

> However, you can use SMR drives as storage for recordings - I have
> four Seagate ST8000AS0002 (8 Tbyte) drives that I use that way.
> Recordings go to my seven non-shingled recording drives, and the
> recording files can be copied off to the SMR drives once recording is
> completed.  I wrote myself some Python to automate the process of
> selecting the oldest recordings and moving them to the SMR drives,
> which I have in an "archive" storagegroup so that MythTV can see all
> the recording files.  But as I do not have any recording rules that
> will record to the archive storagegroup, those drive are never used
> for recording to.

A query about this:  do you have seektables for the archive SG?  If so,
no wonder you need to watch free space on the partition used by
optimize_mythdb - and it must impede other DB access for quite long
periods.  Is there a transcode-free, seektable-free format that would
still allow seeking, and can Mythfrontend use it?

John P