[mythtv-users] adding recordings to the database?

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 15:14:11 UTC 2018

Jim Abernathy
jfabernathy at gmail.com

> On Jan 28, 2018, at 10:47 PM, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 18:42:36 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> I don稚 have this problem, but I知 thinking ahead.  Suppose you have a bunch of TV recordings but you致e lost the database and your backup.  Is there a way to add the recordings to a new database and fresh install?
>
> No.  It would be possible to write a script to do it, but it would be
> a fair bit of work and is not necessary.  Just put the recordings in a
> videos directory and change the names on the files to represent what
> they are.  If you use a name format that the metadata download
> understands, then you can normally get the same sort of information
> you would have had in the EPG data.
>
>> Second situation.  You have a lot of recordings, but your database backup is a few years old and missing a few of the recordings.  Is there a way to run a script to find recordings that are present but not in the database and then add them back in?
>
> The find_orphans.py script does this, or at least it will tell you
> about recordings that have database and no recording file and vice
> versus.  But it will not be able to recover database entries for
> recordings missing that data - again, just move the files to videos
> and rename them.

So I ran the find_orphans.py script just to see what it would find, expecting nothing and I found a good bit of stuff.

Let me see if I have this right.  Ophaned video files are file that are in the directories but not in the database, right?

Orphaned snapshots are the thumbnail files that exist in the directories, but not in the databased, right?

Some of the orphaned video files were programs I watched last week and then deleted.  Not sure how they end up as orphaned.

Jim A