[mythtv-users] which user should setup mythtv and xmltv??

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Jan 28 00:19:00 UTC 2018

On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 17:37:43 -0500, you wrote:

>What determines that mythbackend runs as user 'mythtv'?  I assumed that
>it did, but don't know that for a fact.
>
>Jim A

In systemd systems, that is done in the systemd unit that runs
mythbackend.  On Ubuntu 16.04, that is:

/lib/systemd/system/mythtv-backend.service

which looks like this:

[Unit]
Description=MythTV Backend
Documentation=https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythbackend
After=mysql.service network.target

[Service]
User=mythtv
EnvironmentFile=-/etc/mythtv/additional.args
ExecStart=/usr/bin/mythbackend --quiet --syslog local7
$ADDITIONAL_ARGS
StartLimitBurst=10
StartLimitInterval=10m
Restart=on-failure
RestartSec=1

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

The "User=mythtv" line is the one setting the user.

If you have needed to modify the mythbackend unit, there will be a
file like this one on my system:

/etc/systemd/system/mythtv-backend.service.d/mythtv-backend-override.conf

This file (and any other .conf files in that directory) can override
any settings in the /lib/systemd/system/mythtv-backend.service.  So
the User= setting could be overridden there.