[mythtv-users] which user should setup mythtv and xmltv??

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 27 21:29:18 UTC 2018

On 27 January 2018 11:36:08 pm Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:

> having recently run into permission issue I'd like some advice on what
> should be done by which user??

Personally if I am troubleshooting anything related to the backend
(mythtv-setup, xmltv grabbers, ttvdb, tmdb, mythfilldatabase) I
troubleshoot as the user that runs the BE. Just a personal preference.

> I use Ubuntu 16.04 and used to use Mythbuntu 16.04 so a lot of things
> just happened.
>
> My normal process is to install Ubuntu and create myself as the user,
> "jim". I do all my work as "jim" and sudo when I need to.
>
> When you initially run mythtv-setup it adds "jim" to the mythtv group
> and I logout then back in, again as "jim".
>
> Generally, I could do everything as "jim" once I got to v0.28 and not
> 29. On 0.27 I'd have issues if I ran mythfilldatabase as "jim" due to
> some files created in /tmp without being user "mythtv".
>
> So with v29, I've had no issue until I converted to XMLTV from the
> internal SchedulesDirect grabber. It seems that the grabber will run
> automatically as user 'mythtv', but if I run it manually as 'jim', it's
> looking for config and database files under the wrong user.
>
> So what I'm asking, is should I just start doing all setup and
> maintenance work as user "mythtv"?  Meaning making mythtv a full user
> with password, put on the sudoers list, and have a proper shell.
>
> Jim A

As they say, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Having mythtv user
with a login shell is a valid option. sudo -umythtv...... or sudo -umythtv
bash may be another. You could give mythtv a login shell for
troubleshooting and revoke it later. Do it all as jim and symlink / chown.
Lots of options. No right or wrong answers.