[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct

Jerry mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Sat Jan 27 15:40:31 UTC 2018

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 10:27 AM, Jerry <mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 6:28 AM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> One more thing.  When you set up the initial database, the script should
>> be running as the user which runs mythbackend, which is mythtv in my case.
>> The files get put in the currrent user's home directory so this is
>> important.
>>
>> If you do this as a different user, you can try to copy the relevant
>> folder (~/.xmltv) to your mythbackend user's home directory, but it's easy
>> to make a mistake there.  You can try it though.  'sudo cp -R ~/.xmltv
>> /<mythtv_home_dir>/'.  Be sure to 'chown -R mythtv:mythtv .xmltv' (or
>> whatever user it happens to be in Ubuntu)  If in doubt where that home
>> directory is, you can check the user's entry in /etc/passwd.
>>
>> This is the sort of thing that I like to try but it's really safer to do
>> it the right way and just log in as the mythtv user.   It will probably
>> save you time in the long run.  I happen to have a password for the mythtv
>> user.  I finally just set a password for the mythtv user because I have to
>> log in as that user a lot.  'sudo passwd mythtv' will do that for you.  And
>> you may have to add a shell for him in /etc/passwd.  Then you can just 'su
>> - mythtv' and login.  Again, I don't know the way that Ubuntu is set up.
>>
>> Sorry if this is too simplistic.
>>
>> Running 'su - mythtv -c '/usr/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite' may do the
>> trick if you don't have a password for mythtv.
>>

>> I checked the morning and at 2AM mythfilldatabase ran automatically and
>> FAILED.  At least that is what is displayed with on a FE. I used System
>> Information and check the Schedule Status.  It FAILED with error code 1,
>> but I can't find a log file that gives me any detail.
>>
>> If it's a permission problem I can chown mythtv:mythtv for the XMLTV
>> related config and database files, but not sure how to figure this one out.
>>
>> Jim A
>>

> I think you're nearly there.  You can run the script successfully.
>
> On my Fedora system, the automatic mythfilldatabase job runs as the mythtv
> (mythbackend) user.  So I'm pretty sure those files need to be in the
> mythtv user's home directory.  You'll have to check /etc/passwd for the
> path there, but on my system it's /etc/mythtv.  Just make sure they are in
> the right place.
>
> As to your other thread, I also had problems until i started running
> mythtv-setup as the mythtv user.  I just manually changed the shell for the
> mythtv user in /etc/passwd to /bin/bash from /bin/false or whatever it
> was.  That alone did the trick.  Then I added a password for mythtv with
> 'sudo passwd mythtv' and I was ready to roll.
>
> I do the regular day to day maintenance as my regular user (not mythtv).
> I just do the mythtv maintenance as user mythtv.  I don't log in as mythtv
> very often, and when I do, I type 'su mythtv' when I'm logged in as my
> regular user to switch accounts.

> [...]

One more thing.  When you get your files ready to run as the mythtv user,
and you can log in as him, log in and run 'mythtvfilldatabase
--dd-grab-all' from the command prompt to verify things are working.  That
should tell you if everything is set up correctly.  You may need that extra
switch that Gary mentioned earlier if your backend has limited memory.

I think you need the --dd-grab-all switch.  I have it set up that way in
mythtv setup.  I could be wrong about that switch -- I've had it that way
since it was advised to do so a number of years ago on this list.  It's
working for me.