[mythtv-users] which user should setup mythtv and xmltv??

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 12:58:13 UTC 2018

having recently run into permission issue I'd like some advice on what
should be done by which user??

I use Ubuntu 16.04 and used to use Mythbuntu 16.04 so a lot of things
just happened.

My normal process is to install Ubuntu and create myself as the user,
"jim". I do all my work as "jim" and sudo when I need to.

When you initially run mythtv-setup it adds "jim" to the mythtv group
and I logout then back in, again as "jim".

Generally, I could do everything as "jim" once I got to v0.28 and not
29. On 0.27 I'd have issues if I ran mythfilldatabase as "jim" due to
some files created in /tmp without being user "mythtv".

So with v29, I've had no issue until I converted to XMLTV from the
internal SchedulesDirect grabber. It seems that the grabber will run
automatically as user 'mythtv', but if I run it manually as 'jim', it's
looking for config and database files under the wrong user.

So what I'm asking, is should I just start doing all setup and
maintenance work as user "mythtv"?  Meaning making mythtv a full user
with password, put on the sudoers list, and have a proper shell.

Jim A