[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct

Michael A Weber mweberjunk01 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 04:39:06 UTC 2018

> On Jan 26, 2018, at 5:34 PM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> </lurker>
>
> FWIW.....
>
> The XMLTV project released their 0.5.70 version on/about
> 2017-11-27 which includes the newer grabber versions
> (including tv_grab_zz_sdjson and tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite).
> If your repo has not updated to that latest version, you might
> want to contact the appropriate maintainer for your repo of
> choice and request an update.  If you do contact them, you
> may also want to point them to the next paragraphs
> information, so they can update their various watch scripts
> for upstream projects so they can be notified of future
> releases from the project.
>
> The XMLTV project has moved from sourceforge to github
> (Sourceforge was closing down the cvs support, so it was
> time to re-examine the VCS choice, and its residency).
> The location is now:  https://github.com/XMLTV/xmltv
>
> As others have commented on, the internal grabber
> (via the legacy zap2it DataDirect processing (you may
> see references to DD<this> or DD<that>) in the code
> and in logs) still works fine for many.  There are some
> differences in the results from the internal DataDirect
> and the (generic) XMLTV grabber results, which can
> cause existing recording schedules (or old_recorded)
> to result in surprises.  After any conversion to/from
> the internal grabber to/from the XMLTV grabbers,
> compare your recording rules and schedules carefully
> to minimize those surprises.
>
> Due to the design of mythfilldatabase (it loads all
> the data from the XMLTV grabber into memory before
> processing), systems with limited memory may need
> to specify --no-allatonce to mythfilldatabase to avoid
> excessive swapping (the need will vary depending
> on how large many channels your source provides).
>
> FD: I prefer tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite over either
> tv_grab_zz_sdjson or the internal DataDirect grabber,
> but I am likely more than a little biased.
>
> <lurker>

Gary—

Two questions:

1.  Will the current versions of the grabbers still work with xmltv 0.5.69-1?

2.  Between the two grabbers, is the only difference that the SQLite flavor uses a SQLite database for its local caching whereas the other flavor uses a flat file?  If so, I would think a SQLite database would be more easily managed via code and prevent cache errors, but I’m speculating.  If there is more reason why it’s preferred, please let me know (because I’m like a sponge when it comes to learning).

Best,
Mike