[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 18:12:38 UTC 2018

On 01/26/2018 12:40 PM, Jerry wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 11:43 AM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com
> <mailto:jfabernathy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     on Ubuntu 16.04 I just installed xmltv using apt and I got a lot
>     of tv_grabber, but not the tv_grab_zz_sdjson ones.  Do I need to
>     install the xmltv from the debian repository??
>>

>>         Jim A
>>

>>     You need to clone this Git repo:
>>     https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite
>>     <https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite>
>>
>>     git clone
>>     https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite
>>     <https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite>
>>
>>     If you don't have git installed, you'll need to install that as well.
>>
>>     sudo apt-get install git
>>
>>     I had to copy the files from the cloned repo to /usr/bin.  They
>>     are then seen by mythtv-setup.  You could just browse the files
>>     on the webpage and copy and paste the content yourself but you
>>     lose the ability to easily update when Gary updates his code.
>>
>>     If you're in the repo you've cloned, you can just
>>
>>     git pull
>>
>>     and get the new content when it comes down the pike.  There is a
>>     hell of a lot of detail to Git but that will get you the files
>>     you need.
>>

>     Okay, I cloned the git and now have the right commands in
>     /usr/bin.  I first tried to run the --info to see if it was
>     installed right but I got errors.  Are there other things to do
>     first??
>
>     tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --info
>
>     Can't locate File/Which.pm in @INC (you may need to install the
>     File::Which module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl
>     /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.22.1
>     /usr/local/share/perl/5.22.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.22
>     /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.22
>     /usr/share/perl/5.22 /usr/local/lib/site_perl
>     /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base .) at
>     /usr/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite line 107.
>     BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
>     /usr/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite line 107.
>
>     Not sure if I've missed a step.
>
>     Jim A
>

> One more thing.  When you set up the initial database, the script
> should be running as the user which runs mythbackend, which is mythtv
> in my case.  The files get put in the currrent user's home directory
> so this is important.
>
> If you do this as a different user, you can try to copy the relevant
> folder (~/.xmltv) to your mythbackend user's home directory, but it's
> easy to make a mistake there. You can try it though.  'sudo cp -R
> ~/.xmltv /<mythtv_home_dir>/'.  Be sure to 'chown -R mythtv:mythtv
> .xmltv' (or whatever user it happens to be in Ubuntu)  If in doubt
> where that home directory is, you can check the user's entry in
> /etc/passwd.
>
> This is the sort of thing that I like to try but it's really safer to
> do it the right way and just log in as the mythtv user.   It will
> [...]

I know permissions are important, so I want to understand this
completely.  I know I have a mythtv user and group because it got
created when I installed and it made my user "jim" a part of the mythtv
group. I did all the mythtv-setup as "jim" and the .xmltv/database is in
/home/jim. And the permissions are r/w for "jim". I can run
mythfilldatabase as "jim" and it seems to work without any issues.
Mythfilldatabase also runs at the end of mythtv-setup after you enter
the sudo password to restart mythbackend.  That seems to work.  So I'm
not sure if I have an issue to correct or not.  I can always watch each
day to see the status of the schedules.  But so far with the tips I got
on this mailing list and the wiki I've switched over from the internal
grabber for SD to the newer XMLTV grabber. I seem to have 21 days of
schedules, so that's great.

Thanks everyone,

Jim A