[mythtv-users] Wifi

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 14:07:09 UTC 2018

Jim Abernathy
jfabernathy at gmail.com

> On Jan 25, 2018, at 8:20 AM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Greetings Mtyhizens, my recent move is requiring using WiFi within a 12 foot proximity. I use two internal cards and one HDHR. Would a WiFi extender kit (ac to cat5) be any better than a 300 mbps dual band USB dongle? Hard wiring would create a trip hazard or require fishing thru walls and ceiling. How much data is moving when the HDHR is recording two HD episodes at the same time?

Well, I’ll tell you my observations and opinions. Most of my recordings are HD.  They are 4-8GB/hour. That’s 9-18Mb/sec per recording.  So well within the limit of WiFi.  Assuming 11n or 11ac.  All my Mythtv FE are 11n and 1 has trouble with WiFi occasionally because the FE is on one end of the house and the WiFi AP is on the 3rd floor.  Maybe upgrading to 11ac might help that because my WiFi AP is new and has 11ac with a lot of the newer features to get data up to 600Mb/s. My FireTV is in the same room at the end of the house uses WiFi 11ac and has no issues.

I fish a lot of Cat 6 wires through my house.  It’s a lot easier than some think.  I’ve learn a lot from Telco, alarm, and stereo installers.  First get a set of telco fishing poles that are fiber glass with metal couplings so you can put together 30’ of poles.  These bend and snap back straight. You can use them to fish between drywall and heating ducts, etc.

And don’t forget drywall is easily repaired by amateurs. You can cut a rectangle hole big enough for your hand, fish the cable and then repair it with the original piece of drywall, a piece of cardboard and some speckling.

I would put my WiFi AP and HDHR close to each other so the HDHR is cat5/6 connected to the AP and I’d fish RG6 from the antenna/cable outlet back to the HDHR.

IMHO anyway.

Jim A