[mythtv-users] System Events and Import capture card

Michael A Weber mweberjunk01 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 21:39:45 UTC 2018

Greetings!

I’m trying to use an Import recorder tuner type to allow me to schedule recordings from an unsupported device for which I wrote a script to start the recording device and stop the device.  The script works perfectly.

I use the Recording Started system event to call the script with the appropriate options, and then the Recording Finished event to call the script also with the appropriate options.  And, this, too, works perfectly.

When myth starts the recording, firing off my script, soon after (maybe 10 seconds or so) the called program starts writing the output mpeg file to the correct recording location with the correct file name.  Again, no problem.

Note:  this is only for the import recorder.  My IPTV recording of OTA content works perfectly.

So, what IS the problem?

At the end of the scheduled recording, MythTV doesn’t process the recorded file to fill the recorded seek table, nor does it do any commercial flagging.  Sometimes mythtv says the recording doesn’t exist, and the file size in the recorded table shows 0, when in fact it is not.  When it is recording, the recstatus column in the oldrecorded table lists it as tuning (-10) rather than recording (-2) or some other appropriate status type.

I found the wiki page for Import Recorder, and there is  section of that which says it works for version 30.  However, that is still in development and I’m still on 0.27 (only for a short time).  Further, it says for v30 we cannot use the RecordingFinished event to stop the recorder, which I’m doing now and it does execute my script which successfully stops the recorder.  Also, the lines above the v30 designation state to fill the file name with a single ‘/‘ character, but the comments on the mythtv-setup screen itself say to leave the field blank to use with an external recording device and system events to trigger it.  Does it matter?

I looked through the release notes for 0.28, 0.28.1, and 29, but I didn’t see anything there about changed functionality for system events.  So, should I expect things to work differently when I upgrade to v29?  Or, is there something I need to run after the recording is completed to tell MythTV to accept the file, recordedseek and commflag it and not list it in oldrecorded table as failed (-9)?

If it is believed this will work properly in v29, I’ll just put my efforts into that and keep my fingers crossed.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Mike