[mythtv-users] controlling disk space on "/" on mythtv backend

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Sat Jan 13 15:21:38 UTC 2018

On Jan 13, 2018, at 7:56 AM, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz<mailto:stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>> wrote:

On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 12:28:18 +0000, you wrote:

Whenever you manage to have / run out of space, you should always make
sure you run:

/usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/maintenance/optimize_mythdb.pl

to repair and optimise the database before running mythbackend again,
as the database may well have one or more tables crashed due to the
lack of space.  Fortunately MySQL and MariaDB are very forgiving about
what happens when the space runs out, so a simple repair normally
fixes everything.  Unfortunately, mythbackend can appear to be running
normally when tables are crashed, but it will in fact be unable to
write to the crashed tables.  There will normally be log messages
about SQL problems, but mythbackend will not otherwise notify you that
it has a problem.

Is the optimize_mythdb.pl script something that should be run regularly??

Jim A

Absolutely - run it daily.  If you do not regularly do a check and
repair on mysql databases, you risk losing your tables to corruption.
The way it seem to work is that if there is a simple problem with a
table, the check and repair process can just fix it for you, with no
loss of data.  But if a problem remains unfixed, and another problem
happens, that can then make the table unrepairable.

Thanks all,

I have setup cron.daily jobs for optimizing and backing up the database.  I’ve tested them by manually running them:

sudo bash /etc/cron.daily/optimize_mythdb
sudo bash /etc/cron.daily/mythtv-backup

They do what I expect.

Following a lot of what has been said I decided to get rid of my USB key boot drive and cloned it to a 500GB Hard drive I had laying around.

Now I’ll be long dead before the daily logs fill up the 500GBs.

Thanks again, all

Jim A