[mythtv-users] xmltv grabber scripts failing

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 09:17:24 UTC 2018

On 13 January 2018 at 08:37, Tim Draper <veehexx at zoho.com> wrote:

>  ---- On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 04:12:59 +0000 Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote ----
>  > Hoi Mark,
>  > If Marks suggestions do not pan out, I would suggest presenting your
>  > issues on the xmltv (xmltv-devel at lists.sourceforge.net) panel. They
>  > are more versed on the perl/xmltv issues.
>  > But a user rights issue might very wel be the cause. Do run
>  > --configure and the grabbing as the same user as all results of
>  > --configure are store under .xmltv in the users home directory!
>  > Also be aware that mythtv when running --configure through there or
>  > grabbing through there expects the configuration file that by default
>  > is placed in ~/.xmltv is in ~/.mythtv. So either do configuring and
>  > grabbing through mythtv or outside. Do not mix the two!
>  >
>  >
>  > Tot mails,
>  >   Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>
> you've got the problem correct - permissions.
> while i understand why mythtv wouldnt have permissions to /root/perl5/ dir, i dont know why it DID work, and now failing.

Your pastebin shows that XMLTV 0.5.69 was removed via yum on the 4th.
Package-based installations generally install software under /usr,
where all users can access it without issue.

Reinstalling from source into /root so that only root has access would
explain your symptoms.

> currently running 777 on /root/ and /root/perl5/ folders to get mythtv to run the grabber scripts. guide data is now filled up again.

Making /root world read-writeable so solve this particular issue is
not a good idea, IMO.

> so, question is now, what would be the proper way to fix this? i've no requirement to specifically run perl in /root/, and would of thought it'd make more sense in somewhere like /usr/local/share/

A cleaner alternative would be to install XMLTV into /usr/local from a
clean source checkout:

$ perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/usr/local
$ make
$ make test