[mythtv-users] benefits of one Ubuntu Distro vs. another for FE

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Wed Jan 10 20:32:29 UTC 2018

in rebuilding all my Frontends with v29 I ran across some interesting items.  First, on one Intel NUC I installed Ubuntu 16.04 Server then added the Xubuntu-Desktop, then removed Libreoffice.  Installing Mythtv-frontend was a breeze.  There were very little power saving options and I turned them all off as well as not turning the display off.  That system works great and I can power off my TV or switch video inputs and the mythtv is always there when I turn on the TV and switch to it’s input.  No issues with that solution.

On another NUC in another room, I installed Xubuntu 16.04.3  Desktop completely and setup all the power and screen options the best I could to not turn anything off.  But on that computer, If I cut off the A/V receiver the NUC is connected to, the screen never comes back.  I couldn’t solve this quickly so I put the full Ubuntu 16.04.3 Desktop and removed Libreoffice.  This system now works correctly when I turn off the A/V receiver without confusing the NUC.

Strange, at least to me.

Jim A