[mythtv-users] mythtv v29 can't connect remote frontend

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Tue Jan 9 04:06:51 UTC 2018

On Jan 8, 2018, at 10:56 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com<mailto:oliver.greg at gmail.com>> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 9:27 PM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com<mailto:jfabernathy at outlook.com>> wrote:

On Jan 8, 2018, at 10:13 PM, Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com<mailto:keemllib at gmail.com>> wrote:

On 01/08/2018 09:05 PM, Jim Abernathy wrote:
I trimmed most of the previous text.
I went to mariadb.com<http://mariadb.com/><http://mariadb.com<http://mariadb.com/>>  and looked into Configuring for remote Client access.  They say:
  *   MariaDB is bound to the loopback interface by default because it makes it impossible to connect to the TCP port on the server from a remote host (the bind-address must refer to a local IP address, or you will receive a fatal error and MariaDB will not start). This of course is not desirable if you want to use the TCP port from a remote host, so you must remove this bind-address directive (MariaDB only supports one bind-address, but binds to 0.0.0.0, or :: (every IP) if the bind-address directive is left out).
This tells me that either of these 2 statements are the same:
bind-address=::
#bind-address=::
So not sure why it didn’t work after mythtv install because they set it to the 2nd statement.

Because it is set in another file (follow the includedirs in the previous post.)

Or, do this: grep -r bind-address /etc/mysql and, at least on my box,
there are two other instances setting it to the 127.... address. These
files are parsed before mythtv.cnf.

--
Bill

I think I see the problem:
jim at mythbuntu:~$ sudo grep -r bind-address /etc/mysql
/etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/50-server.cnf:bind-address = 127.0.0.1
/etc/mysql/conf.d/mythtv.cnf:#bind-address=::
jim at mythbuntu:~$
I think it chases the conf.d directory with the mythtv.cnf before it goes to mariadb.conf.d where ther is a bind-address=127.0.0.1

So I need to move the mythtv.cnf to mariadb.conf.d because it would be last in the list so that would fix it. I’ll test that tomorrow.

No, just remove the hash mark from the beginning of the line in mythtv.conf and it should work.

That didn’t work since removing it didn’t override the 50-server.cnf bind-address statement.  Moving it to mariadb.conf.d and making it bind-address=:: or bind-address=0.0.0.0 will work.  It’s just in the wrong directory for the way mysql (mariadb) search.

Jim A