[mythtv-users] [Solved] mythtv v29 can't connect remote frontend

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Tue Jan 9 04:01:39 UTC 2018

I think I see the problem:
jim at mythbuntu:~$ sudo grep -r bind-address /etc/mysql
/etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/50-server.cnf:bind-address = 127.0.0.1
/etc/mysql/conf.d/mythtv.cnf:#bind-address=::
jim at mythbuntu:~$
I think it chases the conf.d directory with the mythtv.cnf before it goes to mariadb.conf.d where ther is a bind-address=127.0.0.1

So I need to move the mythtv.cnf to mariadb.conf.d because it would be last in the list so that would fix it. I’ll test that tomorrow.

I got this fixed and tested, but I think it points out a potential “Bug” with the mythtv v29 installation.  Here’s what I think needs to change.

On install when the dialog about remote computers accessing mythtv backend is displayed and ‘Yes’ is chosen, the mythtv.cnf file needs to get created and placed in mariadb.conf.d instead of conf.d because mariadb.conf.d is searched last and since the name mythtv.cnf is last alphabetically the bind-address statement will be the last one picked.  SInce the 50-server.cnf file has a bind-address=127.0.0.1, the mythtv.cnf needs to override that bind-address by being set and not commented out.  So “bind-address=::”

That’s what I did and everything is working now.

If the experts agree how does this get reported and fixed?

Jim A