[mythtv-users] mythcommflag continues flagging after a show is deleted

Martin Compton martinc at itrans.com
Tue Jan 9 01:27:03 UTC 2018

On 01/08/2018 11:45 AM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Will Dormann <wdormann at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have commercial flagging set up to start after recording is finished.
>> Because the system is quite underpowered, the flagging will continue a
>> good amount of time after the recording has finished.
>>
>> The unexpected behavior I see is this:
>> If I delete a recording that is being flagged (e.g. via mythweb), if I
>> look at CPU usage of the system or via mythweb status, I can see that
>> mythcommflag continues until the flagging is 100% complete.   Shouldn't
>> MythTV cancel any flagging when a show is deleted?
> My *guess* is that the devs didn't think it would be very common that people would be deleting recordings before they've finished flagging.
> BTW - have you tried starting commflagging when the recording starts ? There's a fair number of things that can affect it, but running commflag as the program as it's being recorded means that commflag will be reading the program stream that's still cached in memory. Not starting till the recording is finished can mean that the data is no longer cached in memory and so needs to be read from disk again - adding significantly to disk I/O load.

Remember 'deleted' from MythTV doesn't necessarily mean the file is
physically deleted.  Whenever I start a user job, I can select 'delete'
from the menu once the job has started, and it doesn't stop the user
job, nor does it effect the job as the file is still there for up to 5
days (from my settings).  If the file is marked as 'deleted' before the
job is started, the job will be canceled.  I would imagine if the file
is physically deleted, it would break the commflag procedure (or the
file would be locked).

Having enough CPU/RAM to commflag the recording in progress is
definitely the way to go: less disk IO and the process itself runs
faster as a result.