[mythtv-users] Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR

Jerry mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Sun Jan 7 20:14:00 UTC 2018

On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 1:11 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 12:30 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Mine is also from Newegg and is out of stock.  I ordered it at least 4
> >> years ago.
> >>
> >> https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880121003
> >>
> >> The remote itself has some bad buttons now and I use a Harmony remote
> >> instead.  The receiver keeps on going and I've never had an issue with
> it.
> >> Newegg has similar items listed from that link -- maybe they have one
> that
> >> will work for you.
> >>
> >> I've had issues keeping LIRC running when there's an update but it's
> never
> >> been because of the receiver, and it's just taken a configuration
> tweak.  I
> >> use a slightly modified .lircrc that I got from the Mythdora days.
> >> Everything just works and I have no lag that I can notice.
> >>
> >> I don't do any IR blasting so if you need that, I guess you'll need
> >> something like the Iguana.
> >>
> > Yep - that's the same one I have.  The remotes definitely need help, but
> > have never used one.  The receivers have never failed me once though..  I
> > have another that plugs directly into the USB port, but it is a little
> more
> > painful since you need fron side USB ports for it to catch IR (or an
> > extender cable), but it has never failed me either - I cannot find where
> > bought it though.
> >

> Thanks! I'm having a hard time determining what the actual receiver
> looks like in any of those links. Maybe I'm missing something there.
> Does it look anything like this?:
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-IR-REMOTE-RECEIVER-FOR-HP-5
> 187-4593-RC6-MCE-MCE2005-US-Seller/222771294573
>
> By the way, the rc1 vs rc6 thing doesn't mean anything. Those are
> arbitrary rc device numbers that depend on what devices you happen to
> have. For example I have rc0 which happens to be the serial IR device.

This is a total guess, but mine looks more like this one: rectangular and
black.  Here's the Amazon link:

http://a.co/1iJsJF2

The vendor here says it will work with the whole gamut of media players.
Since it's Amazon, you can send it back if it doesn't work with no
hassles.  At least I've never paid for return shipping.  You might need a
trip to the UPS store though.

Mind you, this is a guess.