[mythtv-users] Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 17:01:47 UTC 2018

On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 9:28 AM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 10:10 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 7:00 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> digitalaudiorock at gmail.com>

> socket-receive/

> >> Wow I don't know what it is with me an IR receivers but this one just
> >> keeps getting worse.
> >>
> >> I verified for sure that I have the Iguanaworks "socket receiver"
> >> which is intended to have a wired receiver plugged into the 1/8 jack
> >> farthest from the USB plug. I bought a wired receiver on ebay that
> >> took a month and  a half to arrive from China and it didn't work...not
> >> even testing with the Windows igclient. It behaved just like it did
> >> when I was trying to use it without a receiver. At that point I
> >> assumed that the wired receiver may have been wired differently (the
> >> support folks at Iguanaworks mentioned that that was a 50/50 shot), so
> >> I ordered a wired receiver from Iganaworks. I got that today and STILL
> >> no luck at all. I even have two of the USB units still (as I was
> >> shipped a second from the ebay seller) and no luck with either one.
> >>
> >> Under both Linux and Windows it's the same. The unit itself is seen
> >> but gets no input. Just plain crazy.
> >>
> >> What concerns me is that, which nVidia dropping support for 32 bit
> >> operating systems, a time will come where I'll need to replace my old
> >> frontend (which has a very reliable serial port receiver), and I
> >> simply can NOT find a USB IR that works. Beyond insane.
> >>
> >> As I've mentioned before I have an MCE receiver that works, but has so
> >> much lag and is so unreliable as to be unusable, and now I'm at a
> >> total brick wall with this. Just insane.
> >>
> >> Tom
> >

> > I know you do not like the lag on MCE usb stuff, but I have several of
> these
> > receivers:
> >
> > GP-IR02BK(TSES-IR18)
> >
> > That's the model number on it.  I never knew IR could be faster - it is
> no
> > more laggy than a remote that comes with my TVs controlling the TVs
> > themselves.  And of course MythTV running on a quad core i7 will
> obviously
> > feel faster than any "rented" provider's piece of equipment no matter how
> > laggy the IR feels to you :)
> >
> > I have never had anything else to compare with though....
> >
> > I have used these units since 2009 or 2010 since I started using MythTV
> - I
> > cannot recall ever missing a keypress.  The remotes that come with them
> are
> > crap, but I use harmonies with Windows Media Center as the type in the
> > Harmony software.  I just switched most frontends to nVidia Shields, so
> they
> > are decommissioned, but if you can still find that model number
> somewhere -
> > they work well for me (my TV still uses one).  I velcro(ed) them to the
> [...]

And while I have all of the required hardware, I have not set it up this
way yet, but in case you have or want to get a harmony remote that is
harmony hub compatible, this is recommended by several long time users:

https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/614015

Apparently it is keyboard fast.

Refurb stuff can be had on Amazon fairly cheap (well cheaper) that new.  I
recently had an Ultimate One die and replaced it with:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F5TT510/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it is cheaper than the Prontos I used to buy, but that was back in the
early 2000's when there was not much competition other than 6 device
programmables..

The Harmonies are definitely nice if you want to drop the cash.  The only
complain I have about the one I just bought (and Logitech is going to
publish code to fix it (so they told me)) is that the activities and device
"buttons" are on the touch screen.  I am a button feeler, so my thumb
constantly goes past the top most hard buttons and presses those putting
this model into one of those screens.

I told them I was going to send it back and get the older version of "One"
I had prior and they told me to wait, there would be a software fix to
allow me to move those button via software.  It has been 3 months, so I am
going to email them now and see what's up..