[mythtv-users] running mythtv-setup remotely via ssh -X

Michael A Weber mweberjunk01 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 00:58:42 UTC 2018

> On Jan 6, 2018, at 10:10 AM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com> wrote:
>
> So I’ve done the bit about installing a server based Ubuntu and mythtv and then running mythtv-setup via ssh -X to configure the backend so that I don’t have to have a GUI on the ubuntu server with mythtv backend running.
>
> The problem is that I could only do the ssh -X from a Linux PC.  Is there a way to do this from a Mac or windows PC?
>
> Also if I install XFCE on top of Ubuntu Server that would allow me to do the mythtv-setup via a monitor/keyboard/mouse and unplug them when done.  I would think that is minimal and stable if not using the GUI after setup, Right??
>
> Jim A

Jim—

On Mac OS X, YES.  I do it all the time.  You need xQuartz:

https://www.xquartz.org/ <https://www.xquartz.org/>

Download, install.
From its Applications menu, open a new Terminal.
Do your ssh -X command from within that.
With your ssh -X session established, launch mythtv-setup.

Setup and enjoy.

Once you exit the mythtv-setup, you may have trouble with the window not closing and the mythtv-setup app appearing hung.  If this happens, return to the xQuartz terminal window, try issuing Ctrl-C and carriage return several times, and it will close out.  After that, you must restart the mythbackend however that is done on your Linux flavor.

Best,
Mike