[mythtv-users] running mythtv-setup remotely via ssh -X

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Sun Jan 7 00:34:38 UTC 2018

> On 7 Jan 2018, at 1:37 am, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>

> So I?ve done the bit about installing a server based Ubuntu and mythtv and then running mythtv-setup via ssh -X to configure the backend so that I don?t have to have a GUI on the ubuntu server with mythtv backend running.
>
> The problem is that I could only do the ssh -X from a Linux PC.  Is there a way to do this from a Mac or windows PC?
>
> Also if I install XFCE on top of Ubuntu Server that would allow me to do the mythtv-setup via a monitor/keyboard/mouse and unplug them when done.  I would think that is minimal and stable if not using the GUI after setup, Right??

Mac’s are unix machines that run the same ssh as linux machines (and x11 does work, I use it daily, I thought that I got XQuartz from my highsierra install, macports folk say no, so must be from macports, but you need XQuartz (and macports offers all manor of goodies) (so why mac: apple make very nice hardware so they can seamlessly drain all your money and macosx works very nicely on their hardware eg bluetooth pre-boot eg trackpad with pust-to-click, they power-save by sleeping the processor which runs much cooler than throttling the processor (same hardware), thay’ve got shitty speaker which they audio-process to sound good on linux the true quality shines through etc etc)

I’ve never played in the windoze domain but putty is mentioned often.

James