[mythtv-users] Linux fo mythtv Centos vs. Ubuntu

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Sat Jan 6 14:33:51 UTC 2018

 ---- On Sat, 06 Jan 2018 14:12:13 +0000 Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com> wrote ----

 > > On Jan 6, 2018, at 8:07 AM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com> wrote:
 > >

 > > On 06/01/18 10:12, Jim Abernathy wrote:
 > >>
 > >> So I got to work on the Centos7 mythtv in a VM for test and then I quickly realized I hadn’t worked with Fedora or Centos for 6 or 7 years. No way to solve all the dependency problems.  Too big a learning curve for an old man.  I’ll stick with Ubuntu LTS based.  Thanks for the confirmation that all Linux DISTROs are complicated. I can get mythtv up and running on Ubuntu server or Desktop in under 30 minutes. So I’ll stay there.
 > >>

 > > I usually compile mythtv from source but just tried to install from a
 > > base Centos7 image from scratch to see what was going on. Looks like
 > > might be a couple of issues at the moment?
 > >
 > > First added EPEL ok:
 > > $yum install epel-release
 > >
 > > Then added rpmfusion (free and non free) ok:
 > > $yum localinstall --nogpgcheck
 > > https://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/el/rpmfusion-free-release-7.noarch.rpm
 > > https://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/el/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-7.noarch.rpm
 > >
 > > Updated ok:
 > > $yum update
 > >
 > > Then tried to install mythtv. Two problems, missing dependency
 > > google-droid-sans-fonts and version problem with mythweb. Also looks
 > > like still 0.28 not 29.
 > > $yum install mythtv

 > > Error: Package: mythtv-setup-0.28.1-5.el7.x86_64 (rpmfusion-free-updates)
 > >            Requires: google-droid-sans-fonts
 > > Error: Package: mythtv-0.28.1-5.el7.x86_64 (rpmfusion-free-updates)
 > >            Requires: mythweb = 0.28.1
 > >            Available: mythweb-0.28-6.el7.noarch (rpmfusion-free-updates)
 > >                mythweb = 0.28-6.el7
 > > Error: Package: mythtv-frontend-0.28.1-5.el7.x86_64 (rpmfusion-free-updates)
 > >            Requires: google-droid-sans-mono-fonts
 > >

 > Sames problems I saw in my test.  I might try a VM to test Centos7 minimal with nux-dextop version 29 and mythtv as a comparison.
 >
 > Jim A
 >
 > > The font I could work around by enabling EPEL testing
 > > ($yum-config-manager --enable epel-testing). But I cannot immediately
 > > see how to get around the mythweb version mismatch. Would need Richards
 > > guidance on this one.
 > >
 > > It appears that nux-dextop is still working fine and is also providing
 > > version 29:
 > > $yum install epel-release
 > > $rpm -Uvh
 > > http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/dextop/el7/x86_64/nux-dextop-release-0-5.el7.nux.noarch.rpm
 > > $yum update
 > > $yum install mythtv

i actually gave up with centos and repo based mythtv updates. I found the same as you two did; rpmfusion is out of date, and iirc, while nux repo has 29, it doesnt seem to be kept upto date. certainly over christmas, the --version number of mythtv components that reference git commits, didnt line up with anything on the first page of commits.

for the times i update my mythtv infra, recompiling isnt too much of an issue. new major versions i tend to update around 0day+1month, active bugs i track on git commits/bug trac and update when fixed, and i maybe update myth once every 3-6months for general patching.

that said, i did find ansible on centos7 broken ('ansible-playbook -i hosts qt5.yml' method) when it hits the perl requirements in the playbook. theres a recent post about it from me somewhere.
I ended up manually installing the perl deps, then commenting out the perl section of ansible to allow it to continue and report any further issues.

dont take this post as a complaint or moan. there's that many distro's in use that i understand some may be more polished than others. with the decision to drop mythbuntu a while back, it's quite evident efforts are being (correctly imo) concentrated on the core software and not at the distro level.

aside from that, i've not had any real differences between running a ubuntu or rhel-esque distro, it's all down to distro preference. just simpler for me to run the same distro at work as at home.