[mythtv-users] combining hardware and still running mythtv

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 19:46:03 UTC 2018

Hoi Jim,

> Currently I have too many computers in my house.  The ones we use
> daily are 2 Mac’s and a Linux Desktop.  There are 2 mythtv FE
> connected to TVs and then there are the ones I want to start combining.

> My NAS is a NAS4Free server
> My Mythbuntu backend is stand alone in a closet.
> I have a Windows 10 system that is used rarely for games on Steam,
> but very rarely. I hate to scrap it.

> I tried using the VirtualBox feature of NAS4Free to run mythtv, but
> that was very unstable on my system.

> I tested successfully Mythtv as a VirtualBox VM under Windows 10,
> but you can’t keep windows from rebooting after updates and you can
> only delay these updates 35 days.  I want Mythtv to run 24/7 365.

> So it occurred to me from one responder to a previous thread that
> maybe creating a Linux Server running Mythtv as it primary function
> but enable file serving features like are needed to be a NAS might
> be the way to go.  Maybe run NAS4Free as a VM under Linux.

> does this sound doable or am I just drinking too much whiskey?

> Jim A

Very doable, although why not run it al on the same Linux server
without VMs. I run Myth, Samba, bind, ldap, dhcpserver etc al on the
same Linux box without any trouble. An older Athlon II X2 system with
6Gb of memory (although 4 would suffice) and lots of disk space in
raid1 with lvm on top. Extremely flexible and sturdy.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop