[mythtv-users] Hard drive selection when Mythtv is in a VM

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 15:10:27 UTC 2018

Hoi Lee,

> On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 9:26 AM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com> wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2018, at 9:09 AM, Lee Whitty <lee.whitty at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> I'm running my mythtv backend in a VM on Fedora. I mirrored all of
> my VM drives after having a failed drive last year. Having the
> ability to easily snapshot a VM prior to making changes is
> invaluable. So is having the ability to easily  expand the drive to
> hold additional content, and easily backup the VM by copying the qcow file to another drive.

> One thing I'd do differently, and what others have mentioned, would
> be to store the recordings directory on a separate VM drive. I could
> live with losing my recordings, and it would keep the VM much
> smaller and easier to back up. I will likely  reconfigure this at some point.

> -Lee

> Lee Whitty
>

> lee.whitty at gmail.com
>

> So you keep your main VM drive small and create a new Virtural
> Drive for recordings.  Do you go ahead and pre-allocate the complete
> size of the recording Virtual drive?

> JIm A
>

> I use thin provisioning, so the space for the VM drive file isn't
> allocated until it's needed. I also have scripts to monitor free
> space on the physical drives so I can take action if they're in danger of running out of space.

> -Lee

In stead of using a virtualdrive you can also use a physical drive or
partition.
From the manual 9.8.1.1 "Access to entire physical hard disk":
VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename /path/to/file.vmdk
-rawdisk /dev/sda

and 9.8.1.2: "Access to individual physical hard disk partitions":
VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename /path/to/file.vmdk
-rawdisk /dev/sda -partitions 1,5

You however must ensure that any used partition is not accessed by any
other OS while in use!
I use this this for datadisk in one of my VMs. It should be a little
faster.

I use

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com