[mythtv-users] Hard drive selection when Mythtv is in a VM

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Thu Jan 4 14:26:06 UTC 2018

On Jan 4, 2018, at 9:09 AM, Lee Whitty <lee.whitty at gmail.com<mailto:lee.whitty at gmail.com>> wrote:

I'm running my mythtv backend in a VM on Fedora. I mirrored all of my VM drives after having a failed drive last year. Having the ability to easily snapshot a VM prior to making changes is invaluable. So is having the ability to easily expand the drive to hold additional content, and easily backup the VM by copying the qcow file to another drive.

One thing I'd do differently, and what others have mentioned, would be to store the recordings directory on a separate VM drive. I could live with losing my recordings, and it would keep the VM much smaller and easier to back up. I will likely reconfigure this at some point.

-Lee

Lee Whitty
lee.whitty at gmail.com<mailto:lee.whitty at gmail.com>

So you keep your main VM drive small and create a new Virtural Drive for recordings.  Do you go ahead and pre-allocate the complete size of the recording Virtual drive?

JIm A