[mythtv-users] Warning: Do not get Kaby Lake NUC boxes

Jay Foster jayf0ster at roadrunner.com
Wed Jan 3 18:09:49 UTC 2018

On 1/3/2018 8:46 AM, Justin Moore wrote:
> I recently got a NUC7i3BNK for my basement, to go with two other older
> NUCs in my house. These older NUCs have worked well as MythTV
> frontends, and are running v29 with no issues.
>
> The NUC7i3BNK has been a dumpster fire, though.
>
> 1) HD Audio pass-through is a known issue, although posts on the Intel
> community board seemed to indicate that this has been solved. It has not.
>
> 2) Neither the BIOS nor dmidecode will tell you the current version of
> the HDMI firmware. You need to install and run the updater in order to
> figure out if you need to run the updater.
>
> 3) If you want to update the HDMI firmware, to test and see if it
> fixes your problem, you need to
> a) Put a FULL INSTALL of Win10 on your system (see:
> https://communities.intel.com/thread/113959 comment 4). The Windows
> rescue disc won't work, and will just give you "this application is
> not compatible with this version of Windows", even though the
> installer is for 64-bit Win10 and the rescue image is from 64-bit
> Win10; and
> b) Connect an HDMI 2.0-compatible device.
> [ Got that? A firmware update requires a full install of Windows 10
> and that you go buy an HDMI 2.0 device. ]
>
> 4) Even after the HDMI firmware update, a number of HD audio codecs
> won't pass through.
> See the same thread, further down:
> https://communities.intel.com/message/475807#475807
>
> This may be fixed eventually, but even in 2018 Intel struggles with
> modern concepts like "OS-agnostic firmware updater" and "surround sound".
>
> (Even after this rant I will be *thrilled* if someone pops up and says
> "No, you idiot, you're wrong, here's how you get it to work ...")
>
> -justin, serving as a warning to others ...

I have a NUC7I5BNH (Kaby Lake) that I have not experienced these
issues.  Then again, it is connected to a stereo only TV, not an AV
receiver, so I do not know if it has any audio pass through issues. Good
to know.  I do recall updating the BIOS/firmware on the NUC from a USB
thumb drive and not needing Windows.  I guess the BIOS is different than
the firmware you are trying to update.
Jay