[mythtv-users] mythTV can't tune channel 56_1 in Boston, but TV and HDHomeRun app can

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 05:21:43 UTC 2018

On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 3:56 AM, glen <glenb at glenb.us> wrote:
> On Sun, 2018-02-25 at 03:15 +0000, Ken Yee wrote:
>
>> Having a quirk w/ the HDHR5 tuner or some weird MythTV quirk w/ it.
>> When I tell MythTV to tune to channel 56_1 in Boston, it claims it only has
>> 6% signal and can't get a lock.
>>
>> Using the HDHomeRun app on Android to connect to the tuner has no problems
>> viewing that channel.
>> The TV using the same cable claims signal strength is 80-88% of 88 (Sharp TV
>> has a signal debug mode that shows signal strength)
>>
>> Anyone ever see this quirk and have a workaround?
>> I've tried running channel scan on all the tuners and rebooted the Mythbuntu
>> server to make sure...downloaded all updates too...
>>
>>  ken

> why don't you use the hdhomerun config utility and see what the tuner is
> actually doing when myth is tuning the channel. in case you have no other
> computer, on android it is hdhomerun signal meter app. several versions back
> i had similar issue and had to go into database and correct the record but
> that was on clear qam. also try deleting the channel and go into setup and
> do scan but limit the scan to scan between channels 55 and 57 and see it
> finds the channel and then add it.

Poor (or at least less than optimal) advice.  ATSC virtual channels
(PSIP) need have nothing to do with real channels.  And in the case
for 56.1 the real channel used to be real channel 41, but it recently
moved to share real channel 42 (sharing with WHDH(*) which broadcasts
as virtual channel 7.x) [Note, both will change to real channel 35 RSN].
So, if you want to scan only one real channel, that channel would be
42 (not 56) today.

The HDHR5 "channel lineup" which uses the new API and streaming
capability of the newer HDHR devices returns the virtual numbering.
If you examine the (full) json channel output from the device
(http://device_ip_address/lineup.json) it will show you the true
frequency and sub-channel (useful for some uses)

FYI: https://whdh.com/wlvi-rescan-instructions/

FWIW, the shuffling of (real) channels will continue across
the country for quite some time as the results of the FCC
auction 1000 requires stations to go off the air, change
frequencies, and/or start to share broadcasting facilities.
The "must complete by" date(s) are in various FCC docs,
but some stations are moving faster than that so one should
always pay attention to the local notices.

(*) WHDH failed to understand the lesson from KRON, and
has managed to re-experience that type of pain in losing
the NBC affiliation(**) when they could have taken the
money offered and moved on.  The owner has seen fit to sell
one of their broadcast licenses (WLVI) collecting a nice payoff,
but now sharing the 6MHz spectrum across 4 subchannels
(fortunately the one that used to be NBC is now more
oriented towards talking heads (news)).

(**) If I was KPRC I would be looking over my shoulder
(being (now) the largest market non-O&O affiliate).