[mythtv-users] Okay adding primary key to mythconverg tables that don't have them?

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 20:42:28 UTC 2018

On 02/20/2018 02:16 AM, James Purl wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I was considering moving my mythconverg DB into a MySQL cluster using
> the group replication plugin
> <https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/group-replication.html>, but
> some of the tables don't have primary keys--among the requirements
> <https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/group-replication-requirements.html> for
> group replication. I was considering altering those tables to just add
> an auto_increment primary key. Does anyone know if these modifications
> might break future schema upgrades? Not asking to predict the future,
> but if anyone knows if the typical changes done to the DB schema would
> conflict. I also understand I'd be on my own if this causes me a mess.
>
> I have an old database that has been through several versions of
> updates and so I'm finding it has some cruft, like bad timestamps,
> that also require fixing.
>
> In any case, I'll be testing in a dev system long before poking my
> production database!
>
> Thanks!

I am not sure about adding the extra keys. I would think it would not be
a problem. However, be aware of a problem that was previously reported.
Another user had tried this and he has set it up with auto increment key
2 each time instead of by 1. This caused a problem because there are
some hard coded values in the code for recording group sequence numbers
and different numbers had been allocated in the database in his setup.
This is really a bug that should be fixed in the code.

Peter