[mythtv-users] Recommendations for Upgrade from 0.27 at 14.04?

Nicolas Krzywinski myth2 at site7even.de
Sat Feb 17 15:39:04 UTC 2018

Hi all,

my MythTV system runs for a long time now on semi-heavy duty and
provides excellent service. Thanks to all people that ever participated
in making this possible!

While I run this system for a long time in a version-freezed state on
purpose, I am planning to upgrade now. The reason for the version freeze
was the demand of time and skills, any upgrade requested from me - as I
am not good in this and always struggled with these challenges, I
decided to stop doing any upgrades.

Now I wonder of the best upgrade strategy:

 1. 16.04 --> 0.28 --> 0.29
 2. 0.28 --> 16.04 --> 0.29
 3. 0.28 --> 0.29 --> 16.04
 4. 16.04 --> 0.29
 5. 0.29 --> 16.04

where:

  * 16.04 means upgrading to Ubuntu 16.04
  * 0.28 means upgrading to MythTV 0.28
  * 0.29 means upgrading to MythTV 0.29

each from the respective system state.

Bringing the current system to the most recent state of 14.04.x always
is the prerequisite step zero, of course.

Pausing or stopping at one intermediate step are options as well, if
there are some reasons.

As for all my upgrades on all of my systems, I will do a full system
backup on an external ssd prior to the upgrade process (and will test if
the system is able to directly boot from this backup), cause loosing
MythTV services would be a medium catastrophe! ;-)

Thanks in advance for any recommendations, experiences or warnings,
regarding the upgrade procedure from these versions and/or when having
my hardware devices (see below).

--
Nicolas

MythTV fixes/0.27 [v0.27.4-30-g3b43903]
Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.13.0-45-generic x86_64)
Digital Devices GmbH Octopus DVB Adapter via ddbridge kernel module
15c2:0036 SoundGraph Inc. LC16M VFD Display/IR Receiver (imon) via LIRC/devinput
Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 12)