[mythtv-users] Frontend cannot connect to backend after upgrade from 0.28 to 29

Justin Smith justin at smithpolglase.com
Thu Feb 8 11:56:00 UTC 2018

> Justin, does your backend happen to have both ip4 and ip6 addresses?
> I have had a similar issue recently on my 0.28 system. It was resolved
> by setting both ip4 and ip6 addresses in mythtv-setup (and making sure
> the firewall was configured correctly). I had previously left the ip6
> address unset, for no good reason.
> pgbennet's answer here
> https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?t=2277&p=11179
> and some other experience, suggested to me that I should try this.

Thanks Leo, your email lead me to the fix, although I'm not really sure why
it worked...

I stopped the backend - which had similar MythSocket errors as seen by the
user who created the issue in the link you posted.

I then ran mythtv-setup and went to the General page, didn't change
anything (all settings were correct already) but saved anyway. Then exited
mythtv-setup.

When exiting, mythtv-setup complained about not having write-access to my
mythtv/livetv folder, which I fixed (surely this wasn't the cause).

I then started the backend, then the frontend, and all was well.

For reference, I have never set up an ip6 address on my home network,
including mythtv.

Cheers,
Justin.