[mythtv-users] HD Hiomerun works better in HDHomeRun viewer than MythTV

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 21:57:01 UTC 2018

On 31/12/2018 20:07, Don Brett wrote:
> On 12/31/2018 2:50 PM, James Abernathy wrote:

>>> HDHomeRun doesn't allow playback unless I buy their DVR license, so I
>>> can't try it that way.
>>
>> The HDHR view that you download from their site will work for OTA
>> channels without cost. You only pay if you sign up for their DVR or
>> Premium service
>>
> Yes, that's where I started, using the  HDHR viewer to see live OTA
> channels.  It looks great in their viewer, but not in MythTv.  As a
> test, I was trying to playback a MythTV recorded show (from file) in the
> HDHR viewer, but can't without the license.

It's my understanding that myth records and plays back the datastream
from the tuner without attempting to correct anything out-of-spec.  VLC
playback is probably the same.  Your story suggests that the HDHR player
might be massaging a corrupt stream before display.  If your recordings
are in mpeg2 format, mythtranscode (for example) might be worth a try.

John P