[mythtv-users] brief lockup in frontend, then recordings split in half?

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 12:27:31 UTC 2018

On 12/31/18 12:19 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 22:24:54 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> So I was recording 2 programs and watching a third.  When the 3rd quit I
>> setup to record the next program immediately after the 3rd. All of a
>> sudden the frontend froze for 10-20 seconds and then continued. What I
>> saw later in the list of recordings was the 2 programs I was recording
>> now had 2 entries. the 1st file was the first 20 minutes of the programs
>> and the 2nd was the rest of the program. I'm assuming I lost part of the
>> programs around the glitch.
>>
>> I copied the mythbackend.log around the time of the event and put it in
>> pastebin. (https://pastebin.com/raw/X9ZXTeEJ)
>>
>> the backend is the latest v29.1 and the frontend I was on was a Shield
>> with pre-30 983.
>>
>> Jim A
> Without looking at the log, that sounds just like mythbackend crashed
> and restarted.  So take a look at the end of the log for the previous
> run of mythbackend and see if there is any data on the crash.

I have looked at the log in the pastebin and you can see some strange
things happening around 8:21PM EST or 0121 UTC. not real sure how to
interrupt it though. The items marked errors seems to be the system
expecting something and it's not in the "profile" so it uses something
else. But my daily logs are full of those for every recording.

I know it's not a power glitch as the backend is on a UPS. My wife was
not watching mythtv at the time, but was streaming SlingTV.  She didn't
report any issue that might point to a networking issue.

Other than the missing ~1 minute of TV program just after the glitch and
before it started recording again, everything is still working good.

My actions that seemed like it caused the event was watching a recording
a few seconds behind live. It was coming to the end and I could see it
was running late and would miss the end of the football game. So at a
commercial near the end, I stopped my viewing and deleted that recording
and went to the program guide, selected the program after the game and
recorded it. Then I tried to go back in and watch the new recording to
see the end of the game.  That's when it crashed, if that's what it did.

I thought that a developer might see something in the log that would
point to a bug that could be fixed.  This is the first crash I've had
since switching to mythhdhrrecording external recorder.

Jim A