[mythtv-users] Need guidance for setting up a 4K frontend

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 12:16:00 UTC 2018

On 12/29/18 1:32 PM, Ashu Desai wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 9:29 AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com
> <mailto:pb.mythtv at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 12/27/18 8:34 PM, Ashu Desai wrote:
>     > Hello all
>     > Looking to get directions on what/how regarding building a frontend
>     > that is capable of playing UHD 4K movies please.
>     >
>     > I have a Ubuntu backend on a VM working great with my Zotac ION
>     CentOS
>     > frontend. However, it does NOT play TrueHD, DTS-HD and def not any
>     > UHD/4K movies.
>     >
>     > So I thought maybe invest a bit and build out a frontend that is
>     > capable of playing 7.1 lossless audio as well as 4K movies.
>     >
>     > Any suggestions please? I saw a few posts about Amazon Firestick 4K
>     > but someone said it does not play 4K so that burst the bubble...
>     >
>     > Thank you! Happy Holidays!
>     >
>     >
>     > Ash
>     >
>     The following applies to current master / planned V30.
>
>     You can play 4K content with some limitations. I hope to get those
>     sorted out.
>
>     VDPAU will not play 4K.
>
>     You can use software decode plus OpenGL (one of the OpenGL
>     profiles) if
>     you have a powerful enough processor, and set the number of CPUs
>     appropriately. This works best on Intel integrated graphics.
>
>     You can also use VAAPI or VAAPI2 profiles to play 4K (requires Intel
>     integrated graphics).
>
>     Playing 30 fps 4K works fine. With VAAPI 60fps works fine. With
>     VAAPI2
>     or OpenGL, some frames are dropped when playing 60fps 4K.
>
>     10bit or 12bit color unfortunately gets downgraded to 8bit.
>
>     These problems I hope to fix. I plan to fix VAAPI2 so that is can
>     play
>     60fps 4K. VDPAU will not play 4K but I will be adding NVDEC
>     support for
>     NVidia devices.
>
>     The extra audio formats will likely be decoded in software. I
>     don't have
>     any samples and I don't know if they work.
>

> Peter
> Thank you for the  reply. I apologize - I should have mentioned - I am
> looking for hardware help - need to find out which direction I should
> go to buy/set up a frontend that can play 4K.
>
> Like I mentioned, I heard of Firestick 4K but apparently it doesn't
> play 4K videos!
>
> Thank you!

I just complete the upgrade of my Front End to a 4K Nvidia Shield. It's
plugged into the HDMI port of a UHD Samsung 4K TV. I have it networked
to the mythtv-backend via GBe cable.  But all the content I have access
to for Mythtv is 1080i/720p. I can stream 4K content from a number of
sources but all are thru a service like Prime Video, etc. I went this
way because of cost and video quality. It's a perfect frontend for
Mythtv-frontend, Kodi, Sling, ESPN, Prime Video. As an added benefit
it's a very good gaming platform, but that's based on an old guys
opinion who rarely games. My son things it's pretty good, but he's a
slave to the PC gaming experience.

Jim A