[mythtv-users] Tuning problems

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 22:04:31 UTC 2018

On 28/12/2018 16:11, Damian wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've had tuning issues for months now, but we mainly watch downloaded
> content, so I've not worried too much about it.
>
> However, there's not much point using MythTv without the TV bit! :-) And
> I know how great it can be when it's working, so I'd like to sort this
> out if I can.
>
> Here's the issue ...
>
> To keep things simple, I've got 2 SD tuner sticks installed at the
> moment. I've got a HD one waiting to be used too, but I'm not too
> worried about HD TV. I'd rather just get the 2 SD sticks working again.
>
> I'm in the UK and should be (at least we used to be!) in the Mendip area.
>
> Here are the details hoe how Mendip 'should' tune ...
> https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Mendip
>
> The settings are different to what they were a few years ago, but to me
> it looks like I the main channels are at 562000000Hz, 578000000Hz.
>
> When I do a full scan, with MythTV, it gives me transports like ...
> 698000000 Hz,
> 738000000 Hz
> 690000000 Hz
> 721833330 Hz
>
> Auto turn always results in finding channels, but they are temperamental
> and unreliable.
>
> This wouldn't be a problem as MythTV always seemed to tune to the wrong
> transports. The problem is that if I edit the transports, like I have in
> the past, to mathc up frequencies, then the system fins nothing!
>
> Back when things used to work, manually editing the transports would
> solve everything and I'd have rock solid tuning. however, that's not
> been the case for along time now.
>
> Any ideas how to get to the bottom of this?
>
> I should mention that if I need to go to the command line, my level is
> 'ls' and 'top'! :-) I can follow instructions, but have no idea what I'm
> doing in there.
>
> One final thing to mention is a new error message that I'm noticing when
> I go into the Multiplex editor. It's stated saying:
> "Sorry, the Transport Editor can only be used to edit transports which
> are connected to a card input."
>
> However, it then seems to work fine.
>
> Hope some of you geniuses can help! :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Damian

Hi Damien:  This may help:

https://www.a516digital.com/2018/02/freeview-frequency-changes-27th-feb-and.html

I don't know how authoritative it is, but it notes frequency changes
made at Mendip in February, although it doesn't look as if they affected
the main muxes. Last time I looked ukfree.tv hadn't caught up with
changes made at my local transmitter around that time.

John P