[mythtv-users] Is Nvidia Shield the future for Mythtv Frontend??

glen glenb at glenb.us
Wed Dec 26 17:49:53 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-12-26 at 12:04 -0500, James Abernathy wrote:

>     On 12/26/18 11:53 AM, Greg Oliver
>       wrote:
>

> >       On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 10:30 AM James Abernathy
> >         <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > >             On Dec 26, 2018, at
> > >               9:46 AM, glen <glenb at glenb.us>

> > >                 So if the MPEG2 videos from the HDHR Quatro are
> > > good on
> > >                 the Shield then I may make the jump to it. I also
> > > use
> > >                 the USB wireless keyboard for editing and setup.
> > >

> >             Just make sure you create the
> >               playback profiles from the wiki and indeed,
> > everything
> >               played back very nicely and de-interlacing was
> > excellent.
> >

>     So now for the stupid question. When you say de-interlacing was
>       excellent, what do you mean? On what content does that matter?
>       only watch HDTV recordings from a HDHR Quatro via OTA antenna.
>       It's usually 720P or 1080i depending on channel and program.
> Both
>       of those I consider HDTV.
>

>     Jim A
>

> >             I use HDPVRs and HDHRs (original
> >               models) as well here in the US.

deinterlacing is necessary on anything like 1080i content not 720p. in
terms of over the air, it can be interlacedor not depending on channel.
in terms of hdpvr it is all interlaced as far as i know so it comes
into play.
i have my settings to ffmpeg to decode, and linear blend 2x as
deinterlacer. ymmv . i used the ffmpeg because i amold, and from time
to time i use subtitles, and i could not get it to work with the
mediacodec default decoder.you would probably be best to just leave
defaults of mediacodec and you will get a good result