[mythtv-users] Is Nvidia Shield the future for Mythtv Frontend??

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 12:44:24 UTC 2018

On 12/26/18 7:30 AM, George Poulson wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Dec 2018, at 03:18, James Abernathy wrote:
>>
>> The advances of small multi-core CPUs with built-in GPU has been
>> great since I retired from the industry. I know that a PC that you
>> spend $400 for will do the job. Also an old PC with a good Nvidia
>> graphics card with do the job.  For me form factor is also a big
>> issue.  That's why I spent a lot of time debugging performance on the
>> 3rd gen Core i3 NUC. But that performance is going down not up.
>>
>> The RP3 B+ is quite good on Kodi but still lacking on mythfrontend.
>> Neither can do SlingTV, Prime Video etc.
>>

> I'm following this thread (and a related thread on mythtv-dev) with
> interest.
>
> I have a 29.1-fixes combined backend and frontend running on an ASUS
> Q87T mobo with Intel Core i5-4460S CPU and integrated Intel graphics.
> This all works pretty well and mythfrontend's playback of my UK DVB-S2
> HD (AVC/H.264 1080) content using VAAPI is perfectly watchable,
> although fast-panning scenes and fast-moving credits show that it is
> only just able to cope.

Sounds like your visual evaluation is the same as mine. I use MPEG2 that
HDHR receives OTA. If you could change Kodi's frontend to skip like
mythfrontend, I'd quit looking for improvements.
> As a number of other users have commented, mythfrontend's skipping
> performance blows anything KODI-related out of the water, yet KODI's
> visual appearance exceeds that of mythfrontend
>
> I'm looking for alternative frontends and so far I have tested an RPi3
> running Libreelec with KODI's mythtv-pvr plugin, and while its visual
> appearance beats that of mythfrontend, the skipping performance is a
> bit of a disaster.
>
> I've also installed Peter Bennett's Android frontend APK on a Xiaomi
> Mi-box (S905X Quad-Cortex-A53 @2.0GHz, Mali 450 @750MHz, 2GB DDR3,8GB
> eMMC, 5GHz WiFi) but surprisingly this won't play any of my HD
> recordings without severe stuttering. Even my SD recordings seem to
> struggle on this box, which surprises me given the graphics hardware
> performance claims, which as I'm typing this is making me wonder if I
> have a WiFi performance problem.
>
> I'm considering trying a FireStick4k (I can't justify GBP150+ for a
> Shield) but am sceptical that this hardware will perform any better
> than my MiBox. Can anyone verify decent quality playback of HD UK
> DVB-S content on any Android hardware?

I'll spring for a FireStick4k or a Shield, but not both.  But I want to
be sure the Mythtv Frontend is as good on the Shield as on a PC with an
Nvidia GK208 [GeForce GT 710B].  I can't use PCs with Nvidia PCIe GFX
cards for all my Frontends because of the size and heat, not to mention
the cost.

Jim A