[mythtv-users] Is Nvidia Shield the future for Mythtv Frontend??

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 23:45:34 UTC 2018

While sitting around during the holidays watching TV, I started thinking about how to improve my home media center.  My backend is a powerful server with RAID so I’m covered there.  My Frontends need some work though. It maybe my brain going crazy, but I no longer think my Ivy Bridge i3 NUC is not up to the task.  Too much tearing at the bottom of the screen no matter what settings I use. This started as the kernels got updated on Ubuntu 16.04 in prep for moving to 18.04. My guess is improving the drivers for the new Intel chips they messed up the old 3rd Core generation drivers.

Even my RP3 B+ has better video performance.  Since I use FireTV in addition to Mythtv, I’m thinking of something like the Nvidia Shield.  It can run all the apps that the FireTV does and it plays games and runs mythtv frontend.

At $150, I can’t buy a more powerful PC than what I have. So I’m thinking the Shield is right solution moving forward without breaking the bank.

What do others think??

Jim A