[mythtv-users] TBS2603 HDMI to Ethernet h.265

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Dec 23 16:49:35 UTC 2018

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 08:56:24 -0600, you wrote:

>On 2018-12-22 10:57 a.m., Stephen Worthington wrote:

>>> I'm using Kodi as a frontend (more wife friendly). It has an nVidia
>>> 1050, I believe. I've played h265 videos on Kodi, so I assumed the
>>> backend was the issue here.
>>>
>>> Gerald
>> Kodi does have H.265 support for using Nvidia GPUs, if the video
>> chipset is late enough to do H.265 acceleration.  Mythfrontend does
>> not have that support yet.
>
>So you're saying there's nothing in the backend to stop me from
>recording h.265.

No.  The way recording is done is to just copy the data in each stream
transmitted for the channel.  If H.265 is what is transmitted, then it
will be what is recorded.  So if you set the TBS2603 to H.265,
mythbackend will record that.  Then you need to have a way of playing
back those H.265 files.  In v29 with mythfrontend, that means you will
have to have a good enough CPU to do the decoding.  Hopefully H.265
decoding will be done in time to be in v30, but you would still need a
recent Nvidia card that does H.265 decoding.  If your card is a 1050
chipset, then that will certainly do H.265 in the GPU - I believe all
the 10xx series do it.  As far as I know, Kodi (and VLC and maybe
mplayer) already have the code to offload H.265 decoding to an Nvidia
GPU.