[mythtv-users] Calling all lirc gurus

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 15:03:52 UTC 2018

> On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 03:15:41 +0000, you wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>> 	I just upgraded my mythbuntu system from 16.04.5 to 18.04 and it was impressively smooth.
>>
>> 	However, I have two issues with my lirc setup, after reading a lot of misinformation about
>> 	removing lirc, I discovered that the lirc config files changed format radically and just needed
>> 	some manual rewriting.
>>
>> 	I followed the instructions at lirc.org, as best I could, to update the appropriate files.

lirc.org is fine. However, have you found
/usr/share/doc/lirc/README.Debian, the official migration docs?
>> 	BTW I'm running version 0.10.0[1207] of lirc (the standard one that came with 18.04).
>>
>> 	I now have a working remote (again) with these two annoyances:
>>
>> 		1) After booting up the first key pressed on the remote repeats endlessly.
>> 		2) The KEY_SLEEP key on the remote is somehow causing the system to sleep.
>>
>> 	Problem 1) is cured, temporarily, by hitting any key on the keyboard and after that the remote works
>> 	perfectly aside from problem 2).
>>
>> 	Problem 2) In my 16.04.5 setup hitting KEY_SLEEP on my remote called the irexec
>> 	daemon which was configured to run a script using home-assistant. I don't
>> 	ever want the system to actually sleep. I want to use the remote's KEY_SLEEP key
>> 	to talk to irrexec. Any ideas what is causing the KEY_SLEEP to get past irexec?'

The problem with using the devinput driver is that you are at the mercy
of the kernel decoding and pre-processing. The KEY_SLEEP issue is almost
certainly because of this, and since I'm a lirc guy I would say the same
also for rhe first issue.

If you used to use the default driver i. e. if you had a working
lircd.conf file it might make sense to use the default driver instead.
This way you should completely bypass the kernel decoding and could only
blame lirc.

> It sounds like you are using lirc by manually setting up the config
> files, rather than using the Python config programs.  That does work,
> but there are still a couple of problems you can run into.  I would
> recommend that you run my script that fixes all the 18.04 lirc
> problems I know about, including getting the Python config programs to
> work:
>
> http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh

The lirc-config program could also be made functional by adding  missing
symlinks, something like:

    # libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/python3.6/site-packages
    # cp /usr/share/lirc/python-pkg/config.py $libdir/lirc
    # ln -s $libdir/lirc /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/
    # ln -s $libdir/lirc-setup /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/

> That may fix your problem where a key autorepeats - for me, that was
> caused by extra lirc daemons being run by systemd (lircmd,

Probably not...

> lircd-uinput)

Might certainly be a problem, fix by:

    # systemctl disable --now lircd-uinput.service

BTW: these issues (non-functional lirc-config, default enable of
lircd-uinput.service) are fixed in recent debian updates.

Cheers!
--alec