[mythtv-users] new drive, same problem

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 19:55:45 UTC 2018

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 1:38 PM Will Dormann <wdormann at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/20/18 7:33 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> > What is your motherboard?  There are known bugs in the device drivers
> > for old Nvidia motherboards that make some drives do bad things - I
> > have an old Nvidia board where my Samsung 1 Tbyte drive will not work
> > - I have to run if from a PCIe SATA port.  I bisected the kernel and
> > reported the changes that caused this, but to date it has not been
> > fixed.
>
> Interesting.   I had a problem with my old nVidia ION system (nVidia
> MCP79) where I'd get bus errors with a SanDisk SSD.  I ended up swapping
> it with another manufacturer's drive, and it seemed to be OK.  At this
> point, I blamed it on the drive being defective.
>
> The system in question has since been retired, so I probably shouldn't
> care.  But I'm curious if you have any more details about this bug.
>

> -WD

What I did last night is most likely a one-off. Earlier I had my power
supply powering my HDHR and cable box. When that proved unreliable, I
marrette'd the power wires back to a connector, which was also unreliable,
so un-used and almost forgotten. Last night I took the connector off and
dead-ended the four wires, hearing only one more pop afterwards, and that
pop may have been re-connection of storage2. I will claim victory after I
hear no pops tonight.