[mythtv-users] delaying backend startup until the network is up

Ian Campbell ijc at hellion.org.uk
Tue Dec 18 15:46:40 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-12-10 at 17:03 -0500, James Abernathy wrote:
> on my production system I use without issue the systemd override
> provided by.
>
> sudo systemctl edit mythtv-backend.service
>
> [Unit]
> After=NetworkManager-wait-online.service

I notice that a lot of the examples (general ones, not myth specific)
on the web seem to also have a Wants= line with the same target. Is
there some subtle distinction between having one vs having both lines?
(I don't run systemd on my myth box and don't really grok this systemd
thing).

I also see that the service referenced in [0] is named `network-
online.service` (but that it says to enable `NetworkManager-wait-
online.service` to satisfy it). Maybe that doesn't matter and you've
just harmlessly "dereferenced" one link in a dependency chain.

I'm wondering if maybe the above isn't actually doing as much as you
hope and it just appear to work because mythbackend (without the
external recorder stuff) is maybe sufficiently robust that it copes .
e.g. perhaps the backend is happy if the interface is merely up but not
yet configured when it starts, but the external recorder stuff isn't
etc.

Ian.

[0] https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/NetworkTarget/