[mythtv-users] only on Sunday

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Dec 11 06:31:00 UTC 2018

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 18:59:59 -0500, you wrote:

>On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 10:40 AM George Poulson <george.poulson at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 at 13:05, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I have one SSD for the OS and three HD storage drives, "disks" shows the
>>> temp of the ssd at 99  degrees celcius, and the others range between 35 and
>>> 44. All drives report as "OK" too.
>>>

>> Is the SSD that is reporting these weird temperatures a recognised brand?
>> I once bought a [very] cheap SSD direct from China and the smartd data it
>> produced was so wrong that it was useless.
>> The drive worked OK for around 6 months then died.
>> I've since seen other "unbranded" SSDs that do not behave properly with
>> smartd.
>>
>> George

> sudo: update-smart-drivedb: command not found
>daryl at trieli:~$
>dev/sda=OS ssd (Kingston Digital A400 240GB)
>dev/sdb=storage2
>dev/sdc=storage1
>dev/sdd=storage3

It looks like the version of smartmontools that is installed in Ubuntu
is quite out of date.  When I looked at my Ubuntu 18.04 system, the
version installed from the standard package shows as "release 6.6
dated 2016-05-07", which is too old in the fast changing world of SSD
drives.  And the package does not seem to have been built to include
the "update-smart-drivedb" command.  So you may have to install a
later version compiled from the source code, which gets a bit messy:

https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/Download

I seem to have done that some time ago, which is how I have the
update-smart-drivedb command.