[mythtv-users] Fedora 24 to 28 upgrade insights?

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Fri Aug 31 02:45:28 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, August 29, 2018 8:49:48 AM MDT R. G. Newbury wrote:
> On 2018-08-26 02:38 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> > With fall on its way I am pondering an OS upgrade on the MythTV BE/FE
> >
> > Things work OK, in that I'm used to their foibles, but 3 years is a long
> > time to get behind the Fedora and MythTV curves. I could also pop in a
> > new 2T drive to be able to rsync all my recordings as the original drives
> > age.
> >
> > Any insights?
>
> I am a longtime Mythtv user on Fedora.
> When I upgrade I always do a bare metal install. This allows for any
> hardware changes to be differentiated from the mythtv instance.

Thanks for the ideas. I don't have the hardware on hand, nor do I think I need
it yet, at least for this upgrade. But for the next one a SSD will definitely
be in order. I've done a myth DB backup and rsync-ed my TV box since day 2,
though not the recordings. The box is another node in my rsync network too.

I've done the /usr /home /var on different drives thing before, when the box
had enough room for that many drives. :)

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca