[mythtv-users] copy channel order to a 2nd machine ?

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Thu Aug 30 04:05:18 UTC 2018

On 8/28/2018 2:54 PM, Klaus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use mythtv 29.1 under Debian Sid on two machines, to record the same
> german tv channels.
>
> On the 1rst machine, I got alphabetical channel order by editing channel
> number by mythweb. On the 2nd computer, I have a list of desired
> channels (the same as on the other pc), but without alphabetical channel
> order for the moment.
>
> Is the a way to copy this order from one machine to another, for example
> by copying database ?
>
> The list of recorded films and videos is not the same on both machines,
> but this is not a problem because I can easyly modify it on the 2nd
> computer.
>
> Or would it be better to rebegin on the 2nd machine the job I did on the
> 1rst pc ?
>
> thanks for hints
>
> Klaus

If the two machines are on the same LAN, I suggest making the second
machine a slave backend. I've got a slave backend on my LAN that allows
me to use cable drops in different parts of the house and provide
frontends in those locations.

If they aren't on the same LAN, AND they have the same video source
configured, AND that source has the same sourceid in the database on
both machines, AND you are confident in your database skills, you can
export the channel and dtv_multiplex tables from the first machine. I
recommend using phpmyadmin to do the database manipulations on both
machines.

On the second machine:
- stop any frontends talking to it
- stop the backend process
- make a database backup, just in case
- truncate the channel and dtv_multiplex tables
- import the tables from the first machine.
- start the backend
- start a frontend
- use Live TV to see if you can tune in all the imported channels.
Any problems, restore the database backup and explore other options.

I've done the above to configure my sister's mythtv system. She's got
the same cable service I have.

HTH