[mythtv-users] Supplying arguments to backend command line

George Bingham georgeb1962 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 21:59:47 UTC 2018

hi everyone,
I am wondering how to add command line arguments to the backend.

I am running Ubuntu 16.04 and MythTV fixes/0.28 (frontend says
v0.28.2-5-gae037d0).

I see in the systemd backend launch file the following two lines:

EnvironmentFile=-/etc/mythtv/additional.args
ExecStart=/usr/bin/mythbackend --quiet --syslog local7 $ADDITIONAL_ARGS

There is no file called "additional.args" on my system in that location, so
I am wondering if I create one, what should it do?    Is it as simple as
setting the $ADDITIONAL_ARGS variable as if it was happening in a bash
script?   Does it have to be executable? Should it be owned by root or by
mythtv?

Its a windy day here in Kansas City and I am having trouble adjusting my
antenna to get good reception. I have it in about the best spot to get good
reception on the channels that I will be recording from tonight, but
thought it would be good to have messages in the log file about reception
quality. Looking in the backend help page, there are arguments to the
backend for messages about channels, and I am hoping it will show messages
when it switches to a channel for a recording about it's reception quality.
Not sure if that's the way to go about getting that information, but I
thought I'd try. I am just not sure how to use that additional.args file to
add command line arguments.

Thanks for any help....

George
-- George