[mythtv-users] Video quality on 0.28 worse than it was on 0.21

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 16:24:39 UTC 2018

> >Looks like the bug that John reported.
> >
> >Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.15.0-32-generic
> >(i686)
> >Consult /var/lib/dkms/nvidia-304/304.137/build/make.log for more
> >information.
> >
> >Looking at that log I see similar language as the bug report.
> >
> >Allen
>
> There is your problem - Ubuntu 16.04 must be installing 4.15 kernels
> now.  The 4.15 kernel is incompatible with the 304 drivers (and the
> 340 drivers too I think).  My 16.04 systems were originally installed
> when 16.04 first came out, and I have not let them upgrade to the
> later kernels by installing the Hardware Enablement Stack packages.
> But the version of 16.04 you are installing from will likely be
> 16.04.5, which has the HWE packages and therefore has 4.15 kernels
> now.  So if you want to try reinstalling 16.04, you need to get an old
> version of it, 16.04.1 I think would be best, that has the 4.4
> kernels.
>
> I would recommend using the Mythbuntu 16.04.1 version from here:
>
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/mythbuntu/releases/16.04/release/
>
> Once you install it, you can let up upgrade all the existing packages
> to the latest versions, but do not manually select to install the HWE
> packages.  Then you will retain the 4.4 kernels.  Which are still
> supported until the end of support for 16.04.

Well, that happens to be the version of Mythbuntu 16.04 I have so my plan
stage 2 of reinstalling without enabling auto updating looks like it might
just work.  I will do that after lunch and hold off on purchasing a new
video card so I don't have to learn why that doesn't work :-)

Remember for anyone reading this that didn't start from the beginning.  I
was perfectly happy with the performance of the hardware I have when
running Myth 0.21 on Mythbuntu 8.04.  I am just trying to recover from a HD
failure.

Allen