[mythtv-users] Video quality on 0.28 worse than it was on 0.21

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Aug 24 16:45:18 UTC 2018

On Fri, 24 Aug 2018 09:26:41 -0700, you wrote:

>I am using the same playback profile with both 0.21 and 0.28.
>
>If rez > 0 0 -> ffmpeg & XVideo
>xv-blit softblend
>Bob(2x) Linear blend
>
>This was available on the 0.28 menu so I assume it is supported.  Works
>well in 0.21 but not in 0.28

Yes, that profile may well have triggered the old acceleration method
in 0.21 - I think "xv" may have been the name of that old method.  But
I am pretty sure that code is long gone in 0.28, and you will not be
getting any acceleration in 0.28 on the 6200 card.  So if the CPU is
the same vintage as the 6200 card, it will not be able to cope, hence
the bad playback.

>When I had the 8600 care in and selected any of the VDPAU profiles, the
>frontend would exit when I tried to play anything. Perhaps the nvidia
>drivers were not really loaded though.

The only way to know for sure would be to try the 8600 card again, but
this time do the lshw -C video command to see what drivers are
actually being used.  But selecting a VDPAU profile on a non-VDPAU
driver or card will likely just cause playback to exit immediately.
There will likely be information in the mythfrontend.log file - you
might like to look at the old logs and see if it tells you what was
happening.