[mythtv-users] Video quality on 0.28 worse than it was on 0.21

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Aug 24 16:25:21 UTC 2018

On Fri, 24 Aug 2018 09:08:34 -0700, you wrote:

>I have "installed" the nvidia_304 driver and that is what is reported by
>the GUI as being installed.  The problem is that it isn't actually
>installed as reported by the system.
>
>My plan which has to wait until this evening is to do this:
>
>sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
>sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers

I am not sure using any of the several graphics driver PPAs is a good
idea.  The PPA drivers are less stable than the ones in the main
repository.

>sudo apt-get update
>sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall

No, the autoinstall option frequently chooses the 340 driver when it
should choose the 304 driver for older cards.  It is better to use the
GUI to manually select the correct 304 driver.  In Mythbuntu 16.04,
the GUI is found by running "Applications" > "System" > "Software
Updater", letting it download the updated package lists, then clicking
on "Settings", then on the "Additional Drivers" tab.

>That should install the 304 driver with my 6200 card.
>
>If that doesn't work I will reinstall from scratch 16.04 with auto update
>turned off so I capture the moment in time when the Mythbuntu team thought
>they had something stable.

MythTV+fixes from the MythTV PPA is pretty stable.  It has fixes for
bugs discovered after the packages in the main repository were
created.  It is normally recommended to use the fixes PPA.