[mythtv-users] Additional recording time per channel

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Aug 24 15:28:34 UTC 2018

On Fri, 24 Aug 2018 10:44:39 -0400, you wrote:

>We have recently had ION tv channel added to our line up, and I notice that they overrun about 15 seconds or so between shows.
>
>To capture the last 15 seconds of the show, I would like to add an additional 15 seconds PER channel.
>
>Is there a setting somewhere that would permit this by channel? I found 2 different settings, one that adds per recording rule,
> And one that adds globally for all recordings on all channels.
>
>Thanks!

There are two settings for this as you have discovered, but they do
not do the same thing.  The "global" one (set in units of seconds and
defaulting to 60 s) is an optional value.  When there are back-to-back
recordings on the same tuner, it is not applied, in order to allow
re-use of the tuner for the next recording.  The settings in the
recording rule (units of minutes) are mandatory - that much extra will
always be recorded.

You can set up template recording rules, where you have defaults to be
applied to a recording rule made from that template.  If you do not
specify a template when creating a new recording rule, it will use a
copy of the "Default" template recording rule to get its settings
from.  To see your "Default" template and adjust its settings, go to
Manage Recordings > Recording Rules, do Ctrl-S to bring up the Search
box and type in "Default".  Select the "Default (Template)" rule and
hit Enter.  To create a new template, in the Recording Rules list hit
M (menu) and push up arrow to take you to the item at the bottom of
the list ("New Template").

When you have created a new recording rule, you can apply a template
to it by going to that rule somewhere (eg in the Programme Guide, or
Upcoming Recordings, or Recording Rules), hit E to edit the recording
rule and then M > Use Template and select the template you want.

So you can set up a template that has 1 minute extra, and apply that
to all recording rules you create for your ION channel.  It is not
really what you want, but it is a close as MythTV provides.

You can manually adjust each recording rule also.  And if there is an
occasion where you need just one recording from a rule to have
different settings, you can create an override recording rule to
change the settings on that occasion - for example, if there is a live
programme such as sport before something you want to record and it may
be running late and push the times of all programmes after it, so you
want to add an extra 30 minutes to that one recording.

And you really should count yourself very lucky that ION is the only
channel you have that runs late.  In most parts of the world, it is
normal to add 4 minutes to all recordings to make it likely you will
record the last few minutes.  And there are often channels that are
worse than that.  I have one here in New Zealand (TV2) where in the
late evenings I have to add 7 minutes after and 3 minutes before to
ensure I get the entire programme.  Yes - they really do start early
sometimes!